I’ve never grown pumpkins before. Bought these seeds for a smallish kind just for fun. Envelop said it should contain 5-6 seeds. It contained 12. I put them into pots on April 4th, and placed them in the dark in the bathroom where it is warm, which they need according to the instructions printed on the back of the envelop. Nine (9) seeds came up, three did not. When they came up I took them out into the light and put them in the kitchen window.
This was the state on April 13th. Growing fast. Really fast.
And this is one week later on April 20th. They are now allowed outside in daytime to get natural light and sunshine. Still keep them inside over night as nights are a bit cold. No frost though the last couple of nights. They grow so fast that you can almost see it.
Have been planning to put them into the earth at the below flowerbed. This spot is the warmest and sunniest corner of the garden. At the back of the flowerbed are rosa rugosa bushes, so the pumpkins would grow beneath them and cover the earth with their leaves (all according to the description…).
Only problem at this stage is that the wooden part of the walls of the house are going to be painted as from tomorrow and the following two weeks. When the painters are done – if all goes according to plans and the weather conditions are right – that might be the right time to put them into the earth. Just hoping the painters won’t trample down the few tulips that came up despite the hungry row-deer… (The sticks that are in the flowerbeds is protection against the neighboring cats who otherwise love to dig here…).